The People’s Inauguration | January 21, 2021
Only we can bring our communities together, tend our wounds, and begin the labor of reckoning, reimagining and remaking our nation block-by-block, heart-to-heart.
Will you join us?
We need healing, justice, and renewal. Let’s create a moral vision for the America we could be.
On January 20th, we will celebrate democracy at work as a new President and historic Vice President make an oath of office. Then, the next day, we will join them — and make a commitment to do our part in building a nation with liberty and justice for all.
January 21, 2021 at 12pm ET, we’ll come together, and we will do so with love.
Sound government is necessary – but it won’t heal and transition America into a society where we are all free. This work belongs to us, the people. In the wake of recent violence and insurrection, the People’s Inauguration is more urgent than ever.
Each of us has a role to play in this moment. Join us.
By signing up, you are agreeing to receive updates about the movement from the Revolutionary Love Project, Dream Corps, and our partners. You can unsubscribe at any time.
On January 20th, we will celebrate the work of democracy as we watch a new President and barrier-breaking Vice President make an oath of office. The next day, on January 21st, we will join them in making a commitment to do our part to heal and rebuild America. We envision a nation that is anti-racist, equitable, and sustainable. Each of us has a role in that labor, and we will only succeed if we lead with love.
January 21st kicks off 10 days of virtual conversations, artistic expressions, music performances, teach-ins, vigils and around-the-table family ceremonies. Some events will focus on grief and healing; others on justice and reckoning, others on joy and rising. All of them will have one thing in common: the expression of a “people’s oath” that recommits us to our core values and to one another.
- Sign up here! You’ll receive emails with information about January 21st and templates if you would like to create your event. Follow the People’s Inauguration on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Join the online kickoff event, streaming here, on January 21st at 12pm ET, hosted by Valarie Kaur and Baratunde Thurston. And tune in to content over the next 10 days, where visionaries, movement leaders, artists, activists, and others will share their visions for the nation with #PeoplesInauguration.
- Join the free teaching series “10 Days to Activate Revolutionary Love” led by Valarie Kaur and visionary thinkers of our time who will help us walk into this era together.
The People’s Inauguration is for all of us. Anyone who feels breathless from the crises plaguing our nation – white supremacy, armed insurrection, racial injustice, climate catastrophe, and a pandemic that is disproportionately killing people of color. Let’s envision the nation we could be.
- Educators: Bring this experience to your students. We have lesson plans for you!
- Faith leaders: Gather your congregations in prayer and reflection with our templates.
- Artists: We need your music, song, poetry, and dance! We have ideas for you.
- Parents: Bring your children close for a round-the-table family ceremony.
- All: Use our templates to inspire secular ritual, quiet reflection, and the experience you need.
It’s virtual! You can join from anywhere.
“I, (insert name),
do solemnly vow
that I will faithfully execute my role
in healing, reimagining, and rebuilding
and will to the best of my ability,
preserve, protect, and defend
dignity, justice, and joy
for myself and for all around me,
and that I will do so with love.”
This is modeled after the presidential oath of office from the U.S. Constitution.
This is a woman-of-color led vision from Valarie Kaur, Sikh American activist, author of SEE NO STRANGER, and founder of the Revolutionary Love Project. Read more about her vision here. This event is produced and organized by The Revolutionary Love Project, Dream Corps, Amplifier, Soze, Harness, and Sounds True.
We need collective renewal, accountability, and a strong moral vision in order to build the society we could become. Sound government is necessary but not sufficient to heal and transition America into a society where we are all safe and free. That work belongs to us, we the people. May this event help create a shift in consciousness and culture. A revolution of the heart.
Love without limit. Not civility. Not a rush to forgiveness. Not healing without accountability. This is love that anchors nonviolent social movements for justice. The People’s Inauguration brings to life the “revolutionary love” proclaimed by the visionary writer and activist Valarie Kaur. Listen to her TED talk: “3 Lessons of Revolutionary Love in a Time of Rage.” Read her acclaimed book SEE NO STRANGER: A Memoir and Manifesto of Revolutionary Love.
Yes. The People’s Inauguration is open to all. Anyone can access the templates, watch the content online, and participate live in the teaching series, 10 days to Activate Revolutionary Love.
If you would like to keep the 10 day series after the event, it will be available for purchase or you can apply for a scholarship and pay what you can. Fifty percent of all proceeds will go towards the non-profit work of the Revolutionary Love Project and will support organizing, teaching, and mobilization centering BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) stories, resilience, and wisdom.